Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Summer Showers



I passed a shoe store today with a window display advertising "hip festival fashion"--wellies. Back in good 'ol California, festival-wear (at least in my day) consisted of tank tops and flip flops. Or, being the San Francisco Bay Area, hooded sweatshirts and sneakers. But rarely did one need to wear full on rain gear to Lollapalooza or Coachella. Maybe for the Bridge School Benefit in late October, but never to a summer festival. Here in soggy Ireland, summer music festivals mean ponchos, rain boots, and wet, muddy camping. There have been a few weeks here and there, last summer when I first got here and earlier this spring where the weather here was heavenly--warm and clear with air that smells like fresh cut grass and mild humidity. Couple that with the super long days (sun now sets at 11 pm!) and you've got the potential for an amazing place to live.

Now ask me about how I got caught in a rain shower on my way home from lunch today. Not the warm East Coast-y kind, but the cold blowing-in-off-the-Irish-Sea kind. My pants and sweater are still hanging on the bedroom door, drying out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I HAVE those striped wellies! Although am not using them to go to any shows this summer and I don't think my pregnancy induced swollen feet will fit in them at the moment...

A said...

I f'ing LOVE those wellies!

Hi, Deborah! I'm Liz's friend, Ann. Occcassionally I drop by your site as I have UK-envy, and enjoy reading about your life like a little, weekly-updated serial. So cute! Happy wedding, happy pregnancy, and enjoy San Francisco!!

Deborah said...

Thanks, Ann! So far so good! And please keep reading--it makes me feel good to have my readership numbers above 4.